Which computing form factor best matches your professional persona? That is to say, what’s the ideal device for how and where you work, offering the capabilities you need and the features that keep you productive?
In pursuing a successful workplace transformation, some companies are taking a persona-based approach, delivering new user experiences that support how each individual works: better performance, easier mobility or smaller footprint, and extended productivity – all wrapped in secure manageability that frees IT to focus high-level initiatives, not day-to-day maintenance. For greater flexibility, those user experiences are fluid between devices, so that a project that begins as notations on a touchscreen tablet can be developed further via notebook and augmented with a supporting presentation created at the desktop.
With so many 2 in 1 form factors to choose from – and with so many overlapping capabilities among them – it can be a challenge to match the right device to each end-user. Nevertheless, here are some general guidelines to help you make informed device choices based on what how and where people work:
The User Profile Helps Determine the Right Device
- “I’m productive in one place” – Not everyone is into mobility. Contrary to what you might have heard, the desktop is alive and well, as a great many professionals perform exclusively in the traditional office environment. For the stationary worker, a traditional PC might be ideal. Or, a smaller form factor with a modest footprint, such as a mini PC, helps minimize clutter, maximize desk space and conserve power consumption. If touch capabilities are important – for routine data entry, say – a desktop all-in-one device makes good sense.
- “I’m usually working the floor” – Whether in a retail setting, restaurant, or medical center, these workers are constantly on the move and require the ultimate in portability and ease of use. For them, a thin, lightweight tablet with touch capability and specialized software provides the ideal tool for recording transactions, inputting vital stats and other data-capture functions on the fly.
- “I travel for work constantly” – For every personal preference in mobility, from screen size to ruggedized construction to super-sleek design, there’s a notebook out there to accommodate. Are client presentations a big part of their job? A media-rich notebook with stunning visuals and HD audio is a must. Does the work entail compute-intensive capabilities? A portable workstation might be called for. Intel and Connection can help determine the ideal notebook for every user profile.
- “I need different devices for different things” – Say a user needs to collect data in the field but compile the information in a more detailed report later. Now there’s a 2 in 1 device for those who need the best of both worlds: a highly portable, detachable tablet designed for touch, and a snap-on keyboard for the performance capabilities of a notebook.
Matching Persona to Processor Performance
Form factor is only part of the equation. It’s not “the right device” until it delivers the optimum compute capabilities. Intel’s selection of processor families enables you to choose the appropriate compute power for each device and work requirement to enhance collaboration, productivity, and innovation at every level.
- Intel® Core™ vPro™ i5 and i7 processors offer up to 10% stronger performance over previous generations for compute-intensive applications and best-in-class performance for heavy-duty workloads.
- Intel® Core™ M vPro™ processors are engineered for ultra-slim, fanless detachable or premium tablets, providing up to seven hours of productive battery life on a single charge.
- Intel® Core™ processors have the optimum performance power to meet your business productivity needs today and tomorrow.
- Intel® Atom™ processors deliver energy-efficient performance and extraordinary battery life that is ideally suited to business-ready tablets.
Questions about matching the right device to each user’s work profile? Intel and Connection are here to help: tell us your computing challenge and we’ll help you find the ideal solution. Learn more here.