Windows Server 2012 reached the end of mainstream support in October 2018. Microsoft offered extended support for five years, allowing customers time to migrate to newer Windows Server versions that were still under support—and now we are about to reach the end of that extended date. As of October 10, 2023, support will no longer be available for all editions of Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2. This means these products will no longer receive security updates, bug fixes, technical support, or online technical content updates. Even though it’s still months away, it’s important you take the right steps now to prepare for this major change.
So, what’s your next move? For starters, reach out to your Connection Account Team to begin looking at one of three options below.
Migrate to Microsoft Azure and Receive Up to Three Years of Free Extended Security Updates
Customers can migrate databases and applications to Azure and receive up to three years of free Extended Security Updates. Migrating your systems to the cloud unlocks multiple benefits:
- You never have to upgrade your systems again. Azure offers multiple additional resources to your environment, including security and data loss prevention.
- You don’t have to worry about End of Life or End of Support announcements forcing you to upgrade every few years.
- Connection’s Azure Migration Service provides seamless and straightforward support, making your migration as easy as possible.
Remain On-premises by Upgrading to Windows Server 2022
Windows Server 2022 provides the latest security, hybrid, and application modernization capabilities such as:
- Secured-core server providing advanced multi-layer protection against threats
- Built-in hybrid capabilities with Azure Arc and richer insights through Windows Admin Center
- Improve container application deployment with smaller image size for faster download and simplified authentication
Purchase Extended Security Updates
Customers that can’t meet the deadline and have Software Assurance or subscription licenses under an enterprise agreement enrollment can purchase Extended Security Updates for Windows Server 2012 and 2012 R2 that will last three more years. Learn more about eligibility.
We’re Here to Help!
Connection’s Asset Discovery Optimization (ADO) Assessment breaks down your organization’s Microsoft estate to help you optimize your IT management strategy. Our ADO Assessment Offerings include:
- Software Asset Management to help you better understand your Microsoft licensing and if the way you have it deployed aligns.
- Cloud Optimization will provide a report with insights into your server to decrease your data footprint and cut costs.
- Azure Adoption Support aligns you with the best cloud options through cloud assessments and a server cloud workshop.
Our ADO Specialists help you understand your options to determine the solution that works best for your organization, fully supporting you on your journey to the cloud. As an Azure Migration partner, we can help guide your eligibility for potential funding toward your migration. Contact us for assistance with migrations, solutions, or with any questions you have about this Microsoft update!